Did You Know that Today’s Techniques of Self-Help Has Been Around for Thousands of Years?
You might be astonished to learn that most of the modern self-help ideas that we practice today really aren’t original ideas at all. Every recent book that you’ve read on self-help, including “The Power of Positive Thinking” by Dr. Norman Vincent Peale, came from concepts from the past – even ancient doctrines.
* Yoga – This method of self-care has been around for eons and came from Asia. There are various types of Yoga practiced today that purport to help everybody take care of their mind, body, and spirit.
* Prayer – Studies have shown that prayer changes brain chemistry and helps people who pray positively to have more positive lives and feel happier. Various types of prayer have been around since civilization started and likely before. By giving over problems to a higher being, humans have found ways to become happier. An that higher being is inside of you. Go within!
* Meditation – Originating in Asian countries, meditation has appeared in many different cultures as a way to relax, focus on big questions, and try to access parts of our minds and hearts that we don’t know how to get to. Today, mediation can help with healing the physical body including reports of lowering blood pressure, and helping people with serious diseases deal with the treatment better.
* Positive Thinking – You might think of this as new-age but nothing could be further from the truth. The idea of positive thinking started with the Greek philosopher Aristotle. Today, positive thinking can be seen in books and programs like “The Secret,” which took the world by storm several years ago.
* Law of Attraction – (Love in action) even though the “Secret” (video, book) told most of the aspects of this natural law they hardly mentioned the key action necessary to make it work for everyone. All the actions and tips in the book must be performed with “feelings!” The authors and experts in the book must have used that emotion automatically and never realized that is an action most people don’t automatically take because of the way we are educated! The book: “Feeling is the Secret” authored by Neville Goddard explains why feeling is important.
* Self-Acceptance – Some people believe that everything is derived from fate and that our lives are predetermined. So, to have inner happiness you have to come to acceptance of the divine, and control your actions through self-discipline rather than try to control what happens. Accept that “You are Enough!”
* Self-Sufficiency – Epicurus taught that the best way to be happy is to try to experience a lack of pain. You could do that through surrounding yourself with friends and family and by experiencing pleasure as much as possible, but not in a hedonistic sort of way. But, we ourselves are responsible for our happiness, not other people or outside forces.
* The Golden Rule – Confucius is said to have come up with the idea of treating others as you would have them treat you. Today, this can be said to be the “Dr. Phil” style idea: that you show people how to treat you by how you treat them and yourself. You set the standard and the idea on what can be done to you and around you.
* Reiki — In the early 1900s Dr. Usui, a Japanese monk, learned to read documents in several ancient languages in an effort to rediscover the healing methods known as Laying–on–of–Hands as shown in the times of Jesus. Reiki energy healing is thought to be well over 6000 years old and is present in every country in the world today. You become a channel for Source energy to flow through you.
* Laser Reiki – In 1990 Taylore Vance and Roi Richards had been doing Reiki for five years and realized there had to be more to Reiki than they were taught. By researching, they discovered the hidden side of Reiki that Dr. Usui didn’t dare show in those early days. More aspects continue to be revealed as they practice and teach it. It’s a stronger form of Reiki energy projected from the fingertips. Why Laser Reiki? Seen by psychics, it appears to be a blue laser beam.
* Self-Actualization – The Greek philosopher Plato came up with the idea that you needed to study yourself deeply to understand and uncover the gifts that God has given you so that you can find your true purpose. You can find some of these ideas presented in the book “The Purpose-Driven Life” by Rick Warren.
As you see, some form of all of these self-help methods were started long before you were born. They were just repackaged into new material by various authors, doctors, and theologians as their own ideas. Some of these self-help masters are not so straightforward about where their ideas came from, while others quote directly from the ancient philosophers.
By Taylore Vance and Roi Richards at ReikiRanch@gmail.com